The company added products during the first half of the 20th century while manufacturing fashionable and high-quality bone china. The Lambeth factory closed in 1956 due to clean air regulations preventing urban production of salt glaze.
In 1901 King Edward VII sold the Burslem factory the Royal Warrant, allowing the business to adopt new markings and a new name, Royal Doulton. In 1939 Gilbert Bayes created the friezes that showed the history of pottery through the ages.Pearson & Son owned Allied English Potteries and merged operations into Doulton & Co.All brands from Allied English Potteries and Doulton & Co. including Royal Doulton, Minton, Beswick, Dunn Bennett, Booths, Colclough, Royal Albert, Royal Crown Derby, Paragon, Ridgway, Queen Anne, Royal Adderley and Royal Adderley Floral were moved under the umbrella of Royal Doulton Tableware Ltd.Its products include dinnerware, giftware, cookware, porcelain, glassware, collectables, jewellery, linens, curtains and lighting.Three of its brands were Royal Doulton, Royal Albert and Mintons.The Royal Doulton company began as a partnership between John Doulton, Martha Jones, and John Watts, with a factory at Vauxhall Walk, Lambeth, London trading as Jones, Watts & Doulton in 1815.After Martha Jones left the partnership in 1820, the trade name was changed to Doulton & Watts. By 1871, Henry Doulton, John's son, launched a studio at the Lambeth pottery, and offered work to designers and artists from the nearby Lambeth School of Art.They were executed in terra cotta with glazed details to the design of Tinworth.By this time Doulton was popular for stoneware and ceramics, under the artistic direction of John Slater, who worked with figurines, vases, character jugs, and decorative pieces designed by the prolific Leslie Harradine.The business specialised in making stoneware articles, including decorative bottles and salt glaze sewer pipes. The first to be engaged was George Tinworth followed by artists such as the Barlow family (Florence, Hannah, and Arthur), Frank Butler, Mark Marshall and Eliza Simmance.In 1882, Doulton purchased the small factory of Pinder, Bourne & Co, at Nile Street in Burslem, Staffordshire, which placed Doulton in the region known as The Potteries. Alban's Church was built in Copenhagen, Denmark, in 1887 with Alexandra, Princess of Wales as one of the driving forces, Doulton donated and manufactured an altarpiece, a pulpit and a font.